Re: [opensuse-gnome] Space on the Live CD
  • From: Bjørn Lie <bjorn.lie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 08:33:08 +0200
sø., 09.08.2009 kl. 15.09 +1000, skrev Magnus Boman:
Kevin,

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 22:56 -0500, Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy wrote:
On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 10:44 +1000, Magnus Boman wrote:
I have not tried it, but if we replace pidgin with empathy, how is
empathy as an IRC client? Perhaps we could get rid of xchat all together
if we go ahead.

I know this discussion has occurred before, but why do we ship both
X-Chat and Pidgin, seeing as Pidgin does IRC. I use it as my IRC client
daily, though I seem to remember some folks not liking it as much.

We would still ship both on the DVD (or online repos). It's more about
what should be default, and at the end of the day, we could skip to ship
the non-default on the LiveCD.

Cheers,
Magnus

If I remember correctly we chose to include x-chat because we were
unable to make the irc://#opensuse@freenode links work with pidgin.

And we had (have?) a irc link in the opensuse icon / help thing. But I
agree, having duplicate functionality on the livecd is just "wrong".

If we can get empathy to do irc links -> lets go for it for 11.3.
Changing defaults this late in the game is taking a chance.

Granted some of whats "broken" with empathy at the moment is probably
the Requires / recomends - We need to add telepathy-butterfly and
telepathy-idle so that empathy supports msn and irc out of box.

// Bjørn