Re: [opensuse-gnome] Monsoon/Transmission, Pidgin/Empathy, Gwibber, etc.
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:43:32 -0500
On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 23:27 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hey there,

So lately, we've been pretty bad at knowing when a decision was taken
and executing it.

During one of the last few meetings, it was decided to move to
transmission, but the meeting was not well-attended. Luis, what is the
end word?

I'm not a torrent user, so I won't comment here as my opinion is
worthless. :-)

Same for pidgin & empathy. What was the decision here? Luis, I believe
you were looking if the facebook plugin can work with empathy. Any luck
there?

Honestly, I did try empathy for a while when you last brought up this
question. And meant to put together a list of issues why I found it
unusable, but got distracted and then went on the road for a while.
I'm in favor of using Empathy for the simple reason that there is the
claim it is more actively developed. But, in reality, I switched back
to Pidgin after about 2 weeks because I couldn't find it usable and
couldn't even tell when people were communicating with me (no flashing
icon in notify tray) etc.

So, I'm not sure Empathy is really ready for prime-time yet and probably
would advocate that we engage in a rigorous testing of usability before
"shocking" users in 11.2 with a complete change of interface that might
lose some functionality. A definitive list of pros and cons rather than
vague "it don't work" like I'm doing here would behoove us much more.

Also, people wanted to push gwibber to factory. Is the version in
Contrib working fine on factory? Can someone submit it to G:F, I'll
forward it from there. James, maybe?

I'd been using Funky's repo for Gwibber and a few months ago it stopped
working and I was advised to downgrade to a previous version. I haven't
used any version from Contrib yet and should do this immediately to see
how it looks.

I'm pretty sure we have other examples of stuff that we just dropped.
Let's try to not do this :-)