[opensuse-gnome] Splitting G:F in G:F and G:A (feedback needed, especially from 11.1 users)
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:45:43 +0200
Hey,

I'll probably split GNOME:Factory into GNOME:Factory and GNOME:Apps. The
reason is that G:F is way too big now, and so it makes a lot of things
more complex than they should be.

What will go in GNOME:Apps are applications that don't specifically
follow the GNOME development cycle.

For Factory, it should be enough to build GNOME:Apps against
openSUSE:Factory -- in theory, there shouldn't be any strict/tight
dependency on bleeding-edge stuff.

For 11.1 users, however, we might need to do something weird: we'll
probably want to support GNOME:Apps for users of oS:11.1, G:S:2.26 and
G:F. For now, I'm thinking of only enabling it for 11.1 users of G:F
because:

+ G:S:2.26 already contains part of what would live in GNOME:Apps, so
we'd want to remove part of G:S:2.26 too, which might not be a good
idea.
+ users of a stock 11.1 might not care too much for now.

So this would mainly affect 11.1 users of G:F. Proposals on how to
handle in better way are welcome.

Note that we can't just enable GNOME:Apps builds against oS:11.1,
G:S:2.26 and G:F because if, say, pidgin 2.9 doesn't compile against
oS:11.1, then we'll have no way to control what pidgin we distribute for
oS:11.1 users (it will only be the last successfully built package,
while we might want to do some updates there).

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.