Re: [opensuse-gnome] designing new default application selection (gnome_defaults.conf, defaults.list)
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:45:45 +0200
Hi,

Le mercredi 15 juillet 2009, à 20:30 +0200, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
which processes desktop files anyway, and allow defaults.list with (XDG)
desktop prefix.

Maybe reuse XDG_MENU_PREFIX for this?
(also, make sure the file lives in /etc/xdg, maybe /etc/xdg/mime?)

[Desktop Defaults]
# ... maybe something will be here as well

[GNOME]
# These applications should be default for all MIME types they support.
Default=eog.desktop;evince.desktop;gedit.desktop;file-roller.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;MozillaFirefox.desktop
# This application is preferred over Default applications for all MIME types
they support.
Prefer=banshee-1.desktop
# but moonshine should be default for listed MIME types
moonshine.desktop=video/x-ms-asf-plugin;video/x-ms-asf-plugin

Not a big fan of this syntax. I would prefer the reverse one, but:

well, reverse syntax may be better, who knows
video/x-ms-asf-plugin=moonshine.desktop
video/x-ms-asf-plugin=moonshine.desktop

video/x-ms-asf-plugin is not a valid key in such files: '/' cannot be
used there. We can replace the '/' with a '-', though, and the first '-'
will always be translated ti a '/'.

# You may want to remove applications you inherit
Remove=...

Hrm, do we need this? I don't see the gain here.

# Or ignore some applications and never use them as default
Ignore=...

Is this really useful? (and what's the difference with Remove?)

# If there is no application listed above, prefer application with these
Categories:
Categories=GNOME

Is this a list? If yes, it should be "GNOME;". What happens if you have
more than one category there? Is this a "AND" or "OR" of those
categories?

Maybe name it PreferCategories?

# And if everything fail, try inherited class
Inherit=GTK

Ok.

[GTK]
Categories=GTK
# Well, items in [Desktop Defaults] are always inherited

[KDE]