Re: [opensuse-gnome] Switching to empathy as default IM client?
  • From: Ivan Zlatev <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:40:30 +0100
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to discuss using empathy as the default IM client again :-)
Last time, we didn't make the switch because it was not totally ready.
But lots of work has happened in the meantime and empathy has some cool
new features:

 + VoIP that's working
 + geolocalisation support (not yet in G:F, need to package a few things
  first, but will be ready soon)
 + support for adium themes
 + desktop sharing: you'll be able to share your desktop with your
  empathy contacts!

Limitations that were blocking this in the past were:

 + file transfer (implemented now)
 + a bit buggy (should work fine now)
 + (?)

I'm not aware of any real downside. Opinions?

Hello,

I am personally against switching to Empathy at this point as I think
it needs more work and testing. Pidgin is more mature, has more
features, better protocol support out of the box and lots of plugins
(I use at least 8 plugins atm). As someone already mentioned VoIP
support is sortof unimportant for many of us, because our mums and
friends use Skype and so do we.

Kind Regards,

Ivan Zlatev
http://ivan-zlatev.com