Re: [opensuse-gnome] RFC: reorganize GNOME tree, move parts to multimedia:
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:30:22 +0200
Hi,

We discussed this a bit at the meeting yesterday evening, but we didn't
reach any real conslusion. Well we kind of agreed we want some
reorganization :-)

Some comments on your proposal:

Le jeudi 23 avril 2009, à 16:23 +0200, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
I would like to propose extended split of GNOME:* package in addition to
the solution discussed in past:

GNOME:STABLE:{version}: Only the desktop and applications with GNOME
release cycle or otherwise tightly related with GNOME. I guess this
repository is a bit over-populated.

GNOME:Backports:{version}: Other updates needed for seamless GNOME
{version} work. Any packages can be placed there. Limiting build for
affected distributions is possible as well.

(this kind of makes sense, but I think it's simpler for now to only
focus on the projects from a Factory point of view -- the backport to
older distribution thing adds an addtional layer of complexity which
doesn't help)

GNOME:Applications or GNOME:Applications_Factory (or any other name):
GNOME or GTK+ applications that are not part of GNOME project. It can be
a primary development place for these packages instead of GNOME:Factory

Nod. I'd do GNOME:Apps:Factory or GNOME:Factory:Apps.

multimedia:libs: Move there multimedia libraries and gstreamer. If their
update is required, link or aggregate can be done to
GNOME:Backports:{version}.

Benefits:

- Don't provide unchanged copy of particular package in many
repositories.

- Easy to update just the desktop.

- gstreamer has nothing to do with GNOME. Its backport often requires
several dependent library backports. All of them will be probably in
multimedia:libs, but not in GNOME:*.

I can think of at least one issue with an example here: what happens
when some package in GNOME:Factory needs *now* the latest package un
multimedia:libs (which hasn't reached openSUSE:Factory).

Example:

+ empathy requires latest telepathy stack, including latest farsight2.
+ farsight2 requires latest gstreamer-plugins-bad since some plugins
were moved there
+ gstreamer-plugins-bad has just been uploaded to multimedia:libs and
it will take days before it reaches oS:F

So we're blocked, and I'd like to avoid such a situation.

(also, since you're talking about backports, what's the plan here? Do
you plan to build multimedia:libs against 11.0, 11.1, etc.? What if a
project requires an older version of some library there? Should it just
copy the old version?)

Particular packages list that should go away:

festival psiconv maybe intltool - These packages were added as backport
for SuSE Linux 10.0 or so and stayed there up to now. Probably more such
packages is still present.

Where do you propose to move them?

gegl babl libiptcdata: Move them to multimedia:libs.

Nod, although I'm unsure that multimedia:libs is the best place for gegl
and babl at the moment. I'd prefer to see them live with gimp until
they're stable or widely used.

gimp*: Move to multimedia:photo.

Here I disagree (same for the apps in your reply to this mail). This
should go to GNOME:Apps, unless:

+ we also move the relevant KDE apps to multimedia:photo
+ we create network:IM and move pidgin there, for example, and do the
same for many other apps.