Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default torrentclient in Gnome
  • From: Bryen <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:05:35 -0500
On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 11:44 +0100, Christian Jäger wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 25.03.2009, 09:25 +0000 schrieb Alan McGovern:

So, for the third time. Could you please *name* some issues with
Monsoon 0.20 and preferably file them in bugzilla.

No, I won't, because it would draw this thread completely off-topic.
This thread discusses which torrent-client to have as default for 11.2,
it is not about fixing specifics bugs of one of the candidates.

I won't start bug-triaging for Monsoon in this thread, neither for
Transmission or any other specific application because this is not the
place for it.

This thread seems to have taken on an entirely different tone than what
was originally intended and while I stepped back in this discussion up
until now, I feel something needs to be said here to get this dialogue
back on track. The tone has really started to change for the worse in
this thread.

First of all, I do not presently have an opinion one way or another
about torrent clients because frankly, I don't really use torrents. I
find them boorishly slow and unreliable, regardless of what client is
being used. So, I am speaking from a totally impartial stance.

That being said, the discussion here is about whether we should
reconsider using Monsoon as the default client because of comments made
over time by various users. Alan has come into the thread and asked
some basic and fair questions, imo, about "what is wrong with Monsoon?",
only to be pushed back with "I won't bug-triage."

If we're going to have a real discussion about the pros and cons of
which client to use, then we need to not take such antagonistic stances
and be open about why we think a particular choice isn't effective.
Let's please stay constructive and on track for real dialogue. After
all, the decision isn't imminent and we have many months to go yet
before making a final decision on anything default in GNOME.

If Monsoon should be removed from the honor of being the default client,
let's be fair and state *why*, not just because we're the only distro to
have it.

FYI: back in the original discussion, I tried out both Transmission and
Monsoon as a newbie to torrenting and took the perspective of such a new
and inexperienced user. I found Monsoon to work, and had an easier
interface for the uninitiated and I found Transmission to not be
intuitive to such a user. That's why, back then, I voted for Monsoon.
Not based on technical merits, but based on end-user comprehension. Has
anything changed in either client since then that re-defines new user
ability to grasp and use torrenting?
--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member