Re: [opensuse-gnome] What is the top 5 things that should be fixed/improved for GNOME in openSUSE 11.2?
  • From: Sankar P <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:27:31 +0530
On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 16:53 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

Sure - it's a pretty fundamental problem of the job it does -
parsing a
ton of (often) huge .desktop files - with lots of translations merged
into them, which are carefully scattered all over the disk - and get
more fragmented as you upgrade apps, and the seek latency that
involves.

Of course, if you use an SSD system, one of the things that is
most
noticable is that Alt-F2 becomes almost instant, regardless of system
age - due to the much reduced seek time.

The only real solution here is to cache some pre-parsed form
of all the
installed .desktop files, in some sane format somewhere; I believe KDE
do this in ~/ somewhere.

Can we recommend a separate /usr partition as the default style, during
installation ?

A sqlite db of installed applications is a good idea to implement ?
( ~/.applications.sqlite ) If so, I can contribute for this.

Or is there any other better methods, as sqlite itself could get
scattered ?

--
Sankar