Re: [opensuse-gnome] What is the top 5 things that should be fixed/improved for GNOME in openSUSE 11.2?
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:53:29 +0000

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 10:33 -0500, Bryen wrote:
I'm sure the slowness of Application Browser and Alt+F2 are related.
(Nautilus?)

Sure - it's a pretty fundamental problem of the job it does - parsing a
ton of (often) huge .desktop files - with lots of translations merged
into them, which are carefully scattered all over the disk - and get
more fragmented as you upgrade apps, and the seek latency that involves.

Of course, if you use an SSD system, one of the things that is most
noticable is that Alt-F2 becomes almost instant, regardless of system
age - due to the much reduced seek time.

The only real solution here is to cache some pre-parsed form of all the
installed .desktop files, in some sane format somewhere; I believe KDE
do this in ~/ somewhere.

# cold(ish) start:

$ time (for a in `find /usr/share/applications -name '*.desktop'`; do
cat $a > /dev/null; done;)

real 0m4.392s
user 0m0.356s
sys 0m0.552s

# warm:

$ time (for a in `find /usr/share/applications -name '*.desktop'`; do
cat $a > /dev/null; done;)

real 0m0.706s
user 0m0.280s
sys 0m0.380s