Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME:Factory / GNOME:Factory:Next / GNOME:Stable / GNOME:Unstable etc etc
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:54:32 +1100
On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 18:16 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 07:38 +1100, Magnus Boman wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:12 +0530, Suman Manjunath wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:23 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
1. Should we copy all packages from G:F to a GNOME:Stable (I think we
have a G:S but don't know the state of it. We might want to start from
scratch here) and then update to 2.24.3

might be a good idea, I guess

+1

Ok, so remaining questions are, do we use copypac or links? Using links
will put some maintenance burden on the project beyond just having the
latest stable GNOME release, since packages will break every now and
again when patches are created for 11.1/GNOME components.

yeah, but since patches and changes are being done for 11.1 as we speak,
we really need to merge changes at some point, so I think linkpac might
be the best, even though it adds extra maintainance work. But I think
it's easier than merging by hand all packages when submitting to G:F

Ok, linkpac it is.

Also, is G:S enough, or should we have a sub-project called G:S:2.24? I
mean, what will happen once 2.26 is released? Wipe G:C and start over,
or, by using subprojects, create G:C:2.26

not sure if we really want to have old GNOME versions lying around, I'd
say having STABLE and UNSTABLE should be enough. Once 2.26 is released,
it is moved to G:S, and 2.27 lands in G:F:N (or G:U)

Fair enough.

So... I'd really appreciate if someone could simply delete G:S and G:U
and re-create them as GNOME:Stable/GNOME:Unstable (Their names are all
upper case today which is kind of ugly) and then add me to the project
and I'll get going with it.

The structure would then be;

GNOME:Factory
Current development branch, containing the current development version
of GNOME for both the last released version of openSUSE and openSUSE
Factory (Once merged from G:F:N, GNOME 2.25.x)

GNOME:Unstable
Once Factory is frozen due to the release of the distro, or if a new
version of GNOME comes along that will not be in the next version of the
distro, this branch will be where we update to the most current version
of GNOME (Might be GNOME 2.27.x depending on 11.2 schedule)

GNOME:Stable
This branch will contain the version of GNOME that was shipped with the
last release of openSUSE and will be updated with dot releases (GNOME
2.24.x)

Cheers,
Magnus