Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME:Factory / GNOME:Factory:Next / GNOME:Stable / GNOME:Unstable etc etc
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:38:07 +1100
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:12 +0530, Suman Manjunath wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:23 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
1. Should we copy all packages from G:F to a GNOME:Stable (I think we
have a G:S but don't know the state of it. We might want to start from
scratch here) and then update to 2.24.3

might be a good idea, I guess

+1

Ok, so remaining questions are, do we use copypac or links? Using links
will put some maintenance burden on the project beyond just having the
latest stable GNOME release, since packages will break every now and
again when patches are created for 11.1/GNOME components.

Also, is G:S enough, or should we have a sub-project called G:S:2.24? I
mean, what will happen once 2.26 is released? Wipe G:C and start over,
or, by using subprojects, create G:C:2.26

2. For each GNOME . release (2.25.4, 2.25.5 etc), should we do a
complete update in G:F:N and then later merge them to G:F (Makes it
possible to use G:F as a 'stable development' branch)

I think G:F:N is good for doing the 1st mass update for a new version,
so that we don't break G:F, but once we have the unstable in G:F, I
guess we can just update there, and have G:F:N be just a link to G:F, so
that packages get built for 11.1

Most packages submitted to G:F:N are typically built once in a personal
repo somewhere (I hope :-) ). So there probably is no need for G:F:N to
be a test bed for the next update to G:F.

This is true for individual packages but not for GNOME overall. My plan
was that if we update everything in G:F:N (or whatever we chose to call
it) and only merge when it's all up-to-date, people can use G:F for
testing as well as opening up the possibility of creating LiveCD's with
consistent versions.
As also mentioned, this might cause to much work for whoever is
responsible for merging to G:F and then forwarding to oS:F.

Perhaps there are better ways to try to achieve this goal?

Cheers,
Magnus