Re: [opensuse-gnome] LiveCD enhancements
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:54:23 +1100
On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 12:38 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 19:51 +1100, Magnus Boman wrote:
Hello followers :-)

I apparently had a bug report[1] assigned to me which talks about
enhancements for our LiveCD.
Now, this will be to late for 11.1, but lets discuss it for 11.2.

This is what's been suggested (my comments after each point);

1.- Remove Cheese and Add Xsane
is more necessary the software to use the scanner it is indispensable for
all
office or home people want to use the scan immediately

captain_magnus> I honestly think more people wants to have some fun with
their web cameras than scanning documents, so I think we should keep Cheese

+1

2.-Include tsclient or gnome-rdp
this is very important for make a remote from other machine with VNC or RDP
very very important have this software

captain_magnus> This is possible already on the LiveCD thanks to NOMAD?

Not sure, but adding tsclient might be nice.

3.-Gimp
This software is indispensable have this in the live cd and the installation
for the users plz add this one to live cd

´╗┐captain_magnus> Personally, I can't even create a filled rectangle in GIMP
and so, I'd suggest to see if we can fit sk1 on the LiveCD instead.

We removed it to save space, if we have the space I'm ok for adding it
back as long as we look at other possibilities like beagle-index as
well.

Can we have a 'public' vote about inclusion/exclusion when it comes to
beagle? In my opinion, it's still hogging the CPU to the effect that I
always uninstall it.

4.-Yast2
Add one function for save all files RPM are download from the repositories
make a cd with all updates and other software are installed to get all RPM
and
install then in other computers don't have internet or don't have a good
connection this is very very very very important

captain_magnus> This is (sort of) already on the LiveCD for 11.1, thanks to
the new "service pack" creator.

This should be handled by SuSE Studio going forward I think.

Fair enough, but I still maintain that the SP utility that comes with PK
can handle it :-)

5.-More performance for can run in computer with low procesor and low memory
´╗┐
captain_magnus> Would be nice :-)

Yes, we need to cut memory usage in this CD.

Again, +1... Perhaps we can organize some sort of a "hack day" thing to
see what ideas people have?

Cheers,
Magnus