Re: [opensuse-gnome] Moving packages from G:F to G:C/Contrib
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:28:36 -0600
On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 23:01 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

Since I'm waiting doing nothing, I'm looking at the list of packages in
G:F and starting to look at what we could move to G:C (the goal being to
have them in Contrib) -- or drop them.

Nice! I went through your list quickly and sorted it into "drop" and
"G-C" categories that I think would make sense. It probably warrants
further discussion and input from more people.

So, list of stuff:

+ all the galago things: we don't even know if it's still working
(note to self: this includes gnome-presence-applet)
+ bakefile: it seems it used to be required by webkit, but it's not
anymore?

Don't know about these.

+ bombermaze: old game. Old. Did I say it's old? But probably fun.
+ conglomerate: an XML editor. Not really developed anymore.
+ giver: err, this didn't move lately, and last thing I heard about it
is that it's not totally ready
+ glade: why do we keep the old unmaintained glade?
+ gnomeicu: most people will use pidgin or a telepathy-based client
+ gnome-reset: like gnome-blog

Drop. I don't think these are much use to anyone, and I don't think they
ever will be.

+ eiciel: an ACL editor. I thought nautilus does this now?
+ fyre: a nice app, but, hrm, not really needed by many people
+ g-wrap: something related to guile. Not used by anything?
+ gDesklets: I'm unsure there, feedback welcome.
+ gbrainy: cool game, but not sure why it's here.
+ gnome-blog: handy I guess, but not for most people
+ gnome-commander: not a lot of people replace nautilus
+ gnome-themes-extras: maybe? Depends on the themes in there, I guess
+ gob2: tool for developers, but I don't think anything use it anymore
+ goobox: old sound-juicer competitor
+ gqview: we have eog
+ gthumb: a bit harder, but I think most people are happy with f-spot
+ libghttp: not used by anything?
+ libiptcdata: needed by gthumb only
+ libmcs: not used by anything?
+ mergeant: not really for end-users...
> + tasque: is it still developed?

Move to G:C. Most of these are of some use to a small group of people,
or are not polished/useful enough to be in G:F. I kind of want to drop
some of these, but it's better to err on the safe side, I guess.

+ mozilla-bonobo: err. Bonobo?

Drop, I guess?

--
Hans Petter