Re: [opensuse-gnome] Reviewing patches when updating a package to an upstream version
  • From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:24:50 +0100
On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 12:45 -0600, Michael Wolf wrote:
On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 02:52 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

I just looked quickly at 6 packages (originally because of the patches
marked as PATCH-NEEDS-REBASE), and I found out that 11 patches were
"deletable". Most of them were still applied because the fix for
upstream was slightly different (so they were not PATCH-NEEDS-REBASE).

I think it'd make sense if we were a bit stricter when updating a
package to a new upstream version: quickly checking if the patches are
still useful would be nice :-) Sure, it's sometimes hard, but there are
a few trivial patches (like "adding some #include") for which this is
really easy.

I know this is not enforcable (and I'm not sure we'd want to enforce
this), but think about it :-)

Well, half of the reason for patch tagging was so that we could
programatically discover interesting facts about patches. So, for any
patch that has a bnc bug and an upstream bug, it would be useful if a
plugin could inspect the upstream bug and report its status. It could
probably use or be based on the same bugzilla code that bugbot uses.

also it would be good, to at least catch some mistakes, if we did a much
deeper review of all submissions. That is usually we (me included) just
submit to G:F and then forward to o:F. Maybe it would be good to
establish a review process for most changes
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>