Re: [opensuse-gnome] Contrib and G:C
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:00:06 +0200
Le vendredi 26 septembre 2008, à 08:44 -0500, Bryen a écrit :
The focus of this thread should be: What are the guidelines we
should follow for what and when to copy packages from G:C to Contrib.

Here's my proposal (which extends to the main repo, and not just G:C).

First, I think there are two roles in G:C, which is why it's a bit
difficult to know what to do:

+ provide packages not in the main repository
(eg: last-exit, meld, etc.)
+ provide up-to-date packages for old version of openSUSE
(eg, I guess: pidgin, f-spot, etc.)

I don't think we can keep it both ways. I propose that we use G:C as a
staging area for Contrib (maybe even rename it to GNOME:Contrib) -- a
bit like G:F and oS:F. It doesn't mean all packages in G:C are ready for
Contrib -- but the goal would be to have them all in Contrib in the end.
(FWIW, I'd find it weird to have something in G:C that we don't want to
see in Contrib)

I also propose we create a GNOME:Backport or whatever to fill the second
role of the current G:C.

Now, to extend this a bit more: it might make sense to look at all the
packages in G:F and see which ones are not installed by default. Those
packages can also be a good start for things we might want to move to
Contrib.

Also, I strongly believe we should maintain the packages in G:F, G:C and
the relevant packages in Contrib the same way, as a team.