Re: [opensuse-gnome] /GNOME wiki cleanup
  • From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:03:26 +0200
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 11:31 -0500, Christopher Hobbs wrote:
Greetings, list!

We've been discussing the state of the GNOME section of the wiki for the
past two meetings. This mailing has been delayed mainly because I've
been incredibly busy in my personal life.

I'd like to try to tackle a wiki cleanup event, similar in fashion to
our BugDays. The /GNOME section of the wiki could use a little updating
and perhaps a better navigation scheme from a support standpoint.

That being said, I'd like to know what you like or dislike about the
GNOME section? What would you like to see there or what would you post
yourself if you had the time? What would you remove?

the wiki looks too wiki to me, that is, it is very nice to use a wiki
for easy editing of pages by several people, but it needs a more
website-oriented interface. The main page in en.opensuse.org looks like
a good way to organise it, with several well separated sections (and a
nice look, better than the GNOME page). More user-oriented stuff should
be added, like links to documentation, themes, tutorials, articles, etc.
Also, the Participating and Developing links in /GNOME should probably
better placed in a subsection (called Participate or something like Get
Involved)

It is also a nice idea to have like the main page, a news roll on the
right, maybe with just meeting announcements or whatever else is GNOME
oriented.

We also discussed the potential of having a single person responsible
for checking the wiki on occasion to make sure that it's complete and in
order. A maintainer of sorts, I suppose. Given the collaborative
nature of a wiki, it wouldn't seem logical to have a single person
editing pages, but rather a single person simply checking for stale,
outdated, or misplaced pages and potentially grammatical errors.

definitely, we need a wiki team, with 1 or 2 people to look after all
changes done to the wiki.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>