Re: [opensuse-gnome] 11.1 Feature Review
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:50:04 +0200
Le mercredi 03 septembre 2008, à 13:57 +0200, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 11:28 +0200, Michael Monreal wrote:
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 11:05 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
I started experimenting with PolicyKit the other day, and ended up
writing some code for a thing called AdminKit, which I was planning to
include the PK code in the clock applet as well as a RunAsRoot method to
replace all the *su*do things we have. If I (or someone else) have some
time, it should be quite easy to have it work (doesn't work yet, didn't
have time to finish, but it's almost done)

This sounds great, but does it include all those YaST root dialogs as
well? YaST is -by far- using the most of those dialogs and it would be
ha huge win to have it integrated with PolicyKit.

for starting yast, we have a .desktop file that runs 'gnomesu yast2', so
yes, we could just provide a helper program to do the RunAsRoot thing,
and so the .desktop file just would need to replace the 'gnomesu' part
with our helper program using AdminKit.

It would actually be interesting to find all the places where we use
gnomesu, and use the small helper everywhere instead. I know that in
glib/gio and gnome-desktop at least, we have patches to use gnomesu when
some .desktop keys are set.