Re: [opensuse-gnome] Go Elsewhere?
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:05:47 -0500
Dear Bryen,

Perhaps you misread the original intent of this thread. My bringing
this up was not about KDE vs. GNOME. That exists, and sadly we'll never
get around that part.

My thread was about people telling newcomers that if they want to use
GNOME, they should use another distribution. That's a comment NOT about
GNOME itself, but about openSUSE's GNOME. It is an unfair, untruthful
implication and ignores the hard work of many people contributing to
openSUSE-GNOME.

I said that I find that part wrong and unfair myself.

When I confronted one person who said this statement, he admitted to
having never used GNOME but felt that if GNOME is the user's desired DE,
other distros are better. That is wholly untrue and unfair.

I know some of the users who attack GNOME never actually tried it. It's
not my case, as you know.

Please don't hijack this thread to turn it into one of your usual rants.

Thanks for giving me the occasion to point out the typical answer a user
receive when he complains about the quality of GNOME in openSUSE.

Instead of assuming that who complains is simply ranting, try to
understand why he is complaining always on the same topics. After that
you will be able to answer with some more authority, and maybe to have a
better product to really market.

This was not about the existence of GNOME, it was about GNOME on
openSUSE.

All my previous message was in answer to what Andrew wrote, to point out
that GNOME has not a marketing problem, but a quality problem at first,
like it or not.
And I wrote exactly on that: GNOME on openSUSE and its quality compared
to GNOME in other distributions, and to KDE on openSUSE.

With kind regards,
Alberto