Re: [opensuse-gnome] Go Elsewhere?
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:41:31 +0100
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:58:55 -0400
Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 20:25 -0500, Bryen wrote:

Twice this past weekend, I've come across people in #suse saying
"If you want to use GNOME" go to another distro. Each time I
confronted them, they have not been able to back up their
statement. Both times, it was an entirely different person
mentioning it.

I'm concerned with how this is happening. Twice in one weekend is
a little too close for comfort for me. Is this a growing notion
among non-GNOME users? Is there FUD being spread about
openSUSE-GNOME? I don't know. But we should be aware that it
is happening and try to nip it in the bud when possible.

Allowing this to be a widespread belief is not in anyone at
openSUSE's best interests, no matter how false this premise is.

Bryen

There are a lot of KDE fanboys and fangirls on #suse, so I don't
know if it's *increasing*, but it is there and a problem.

As far as FUD, besides the old crap about Mono, I don't know of
any. But if I do hear anything, I'll definitely try to nip it in
the bud (and shove it down a well. I just like to make sure it
down ;-))
I have seen this as well...many times on #suse. Often people ask
questions, are given "KDE solutions", then when the user states they
are using GNOME they are either ridiculed or ignored. It really makes
me sad, because otherwise, the openSUSE community is great.

Just wanted to put in my $0.02 since I've seen the same thing going
on as well, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read this.

There is indeed an issue of anti-DE at times in #suse, there are times
when it is GNOME that gets it, sometimes it's XFCE that cops a bucket
full of buck shot. On the odd occasion I have seen KDE attract the
swarm of locusts. As people have said, this is slowly increasing; so
much so that I am copying the board and Zonker in to ensure that they
are aware of the issue, and hopefully they can advise and assist us in
how best to educate everyone. At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure
that there is a lot of things in KDE that none of us know.

The issue of openSUSE's GNOME release being inferior to other distros
is certainly a concern, and I think it is up to the GNOME team (both
Novell employees and community militia ;-) ) to rectify with mass
marketing. If we can rope in the friendly peeps on the Mono side of
things to help with advertising then great. Mono is now a very well
accepted part of linux life and those that baulk at it a lunatic zealot
extremists with no real comprehension.

I think a good spate of education for the diehard users of other DEs
would be a good start, lets try and do something fun and informative
for all of us.

Regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa, openSUSE Member: GNOME & Marketing Teams.
http://opensuse.org/GNOME | http://en.opensuse.org/Marketing_Team