Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME: repository maintenance
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:32:43 +0200
Michael Wolf wrote:
On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 11:20 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

So I would like to propose:

GNOME platform: Keep the two-repos concept.

GTK+ platform: Ditto, may have its own repos or use GNOME repos.

I wonder how many people who just want to install the software care
about the difference. Some people who use XFCE probably do, but they
also tend to know what they're doing and are able to avoid installing
apps that pull in all sorts of GNOME dependencies if that's really what
they want to do.

Well. For example, latest gimp-unstable in multimedia:photo fails in
older products due to too old GTK+. I have to base its build on the
whole GNOME:STABLE. It's bad fot most users, because they will get
rolling updates of the whole GNOME instead of only multimedia:photo and
GTK+. As repository dependencies work well in the latest zypp, I would
like more repositories.

Applications: Create a separate repository of applications, which don't
follow GNOME/GTK+ release cycle. Maybe even better, drop many of them.
For example gqview or GIMP development would fit much better to
multimedia:photo than GNOME:UNSTABLE.

Maybe. I guess it depends on how the "man on street" goes about looking
for, say, the latest pidgin or inkscape.

Gstreamer: I am thinking about move to multimedia:something altogether
with multimedia libraries. It would make Gstreamer build simpler.

randmom packages: remove them

mono packages and mono based packages: check whether they are in mono
projects and move or drop in GNOME repos.

For apps that happen to be written in mono, who cares? They should stay
in GNOME: or go somewhere more specific. For things like dependencies,
though, I think I agree.

People who want only the latest GNOME:STABLE would probably not carry
about problems of update to the latest mono. That is why I would like to
see mono applications separately, so only people who really want the
latest mono will have to install it.

The same problem exists with gstreamer: GNOME can work well with older
gstreamer version, update to the latest gstreamer version would require
update of many multimedia libraries.

Having more repositories would allow users to install (and subscribe for
rolling updates) for a minimal set of packages.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer