Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME: repository maintenance
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:46:04 -0500
On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 11:20 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

So I would like to propose:

GNOME platform: Keep the two-repos concept.

GTK+ platform: Ditto, may have its own repos or use GNOME repos.

I wonder how many people who just want to install the software care
about the difference. Some people who use XFCE probably do, but they
also tend to know what they're doing and are able to avoid installing
apps that pull in all sorts of GNOME dependencies if that's really what
they want to do.

Applications: Create a separate repository of applications, which don't
follow GNOME/GTK+ release cycle. Maybe even better, drop many of them.
For example gqview or GIMP development would fit much better to
multimedia:photo than GNOME:UNSTABLE.

Maybe. I guess it depends on how the "man on street" goes about looking
for, say, the latest pidgin or inkscape.

Gstreamer: I am thinking about move to multimedia:something altogether
with multimedia libraries. It would make Gstreamer build simpler.

randmom packages: remove them

mono packages and mono based packages: check whether they are in mono
projects and move or drop in GNOME repos.

For apps that happen to be written in mono, who cares? They should stay
in GNOME: or go somewhere more specific. For things like dependencies,
though, I think I agree.