Re: [opensuse-gnome] gdesklets
  • From: James Tremblay aka SLEducator <fxrsliberty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:16:25 -0400
JP Rosevear wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 19:32 -0400, James Tremblay aka SLEducator wrote:
Hey Guys , What chance is there that opensuse would become the hosts for and takeover the gdesklets project.

If you're talking maintaining it, the chances are low.

Including the SideCandy group as an included option would really be sweet . It would be something that other gnome distro
would be missing and those users would be looking at openSuSE and saying mmmmm even more polish.
Just a thought.

If you mean here packaging this stuff, its a good possibility.

BTW, we should take more about what packages to get into opensuse proper
from the education project now - its a good time to capture that.

-JP
JP,
I am unsure what it is you are asking of us. The idea that the main distribution host packages
needed only to support the education add-on is a new concept to me. If you mean that the full repository
from education-opensuse.org be moved , I am not the one to answer that. Lars has been working with the
software packages keeping them in order so that they load on the current distributions. It is my understanding
that the next phase include "patterns" that are desktop specific and when the yast module is complete the repo
will configure age specific desktops as well. We could use help with this, specifically going through the repo and
finding packages that need modification to run under gnome and defining that pattern.
I am currently running 11 w\gnome and the edu repo , it loaded a huge amount of wonderful packages. lots of KDE
specific packages loaded and don't run.
James