Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME:STABLE urgently needs clean-up
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:38:46 -0500
On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:36 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Hallo.

I am getting a lot of bug messages, that GNOME:STABLE breaks other
packages in older distributions (e. g. zypp for 10.3).

Because there was no discussion about the GNOME:* reorganization, I want
to raise this topic again.

I want to propose splitting of the repository to fix these issues to
these repositories:

GNOME:GTK_STABLE: Safe to update packages from here. Optional, may be
part of GNOME:STABLE. For gtk2, glib2, atk, pango,
cairo...

GNOME:GTK_UNSTABLE: Unsafe but consistent. Optional.
(or maybe name it GNOME:GTK_NEXT or so)

GNOME:STABLE: Safe to update packages from here. Official GNOME
packages only (GNOME release cycle).

GNOME:UNSTABLE: Unsafe but consistent. Optional.
(or maybe name it GNOME:NEXT or so)

I don't see the benefit of the GTK_* repositories.

GNOME:APPLICATIONS: Set of GNOME applications and GNOME application
libraries.

In all repositories above, no updates of dependent non-GNOME package
will be allowed!

Do you mean no updates of packages that GNOME depends upon, or packages
that depend upon GNOME?

If you mean the former, I agree. If you mean the latter, I don't
understand.

Finally, what would the difference between GNOME:APPLICATIONS and
GNOME:Community be?

Michael.