[opensuse-gnome] GNOME:STABLE urgently needs clean-up
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:36:34 +0200
Hallo.

I am getting a lot of bug messages, that GNOME:STABLE breaks other
packages in older distributions (e. g. zypp for 10.3).

Because there was no discussion about the GNOME:* reorganization, I want
to raise this topic again.

I want to propose splitting of the repository to fix these issues to
these repositories:

GNOME:GTK_STABLE: Safe to update packages from here. Optional, may be
part of GNOME:STABLE. For gtk2, glib2, atk, pango,
cairo...

GNOME:GTK_UNSTABLE: Unsafe but consistent. Optional.
(or maybe name it GNOME:GTK_NEXT or so)

GNOME:STABLE: Safe to update packages from here. Official GNOME
packages only (GNOME release cycle).

GNOME:UNSTABLE: Unsafe but consistent. Optional.
(or maybe name it GNOME:NEXT or so)

GNOME:APPLICATIONS: Set of GNOME applications and GNOME application
libraries.

In all repositories above, no updates of dependent non-GNOME package
will be allowed!

openSUSE.org:GNOME:Factory: Until this scheme will settle, it will
follow the Factory.

All other packages: Identify, drop and find a way, how to provide safe
update where it is required.

Benefits of this:
- No more broken distro packages.
- Easy to switch Factory to the next GNOME
- Easy to identify packages.

If there are no complains, I will start with changes in the near future.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer