[opensuse-gnome] GNOME: repository maintenance
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:10:20 -0500
Hello

With the imminent release of openSUSE 11.0, it's time once again to take
a good look at our repositories in the Build Service. JP, Dirk from the
KDE team, and I discussed this earlier today, and we've come up with the
following proposal. (To be fair, it was Dirk who did, and he convinced
JP and me that he was right. ;) He proposed a very similar organization
for KDE here:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2008-06/msg00010.html)

* GNOME:STABLE - This will contain GNOME roughly as shipped with the
last shipped version of openSUSE. So, Real Soon Now (tm) it will
contain GNOME 2.22.x. The term "STABLE" can cause some confusion, so
to clarify, it means a distribution of GNOME that we have deemed
stable, tested, etc. As such, it may sometimes lag the most recent
release released as stable by upstream.

* GNOME:Factory - Here is where development for the next version of
openSUSE will happen. We've made some previous attempts to do our
development in the Build Service that were not so successful, for a
variety of reasons. But this time, with improved tools and greater
determination, I think we can make it work for real.
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Collaboration describes some of
the Build Service's new capabilities. I'm looking forward to seeing
good stuff coming in now that it's so much easier to contribute
changes.

* GNOME:UNSTABLE - I expect this project to lie fallow most of the
time.

* GNOME:Community - This project will continue as is.

Questions, comments, or concerns? Or corrections? :)

Michael.