Re: [opensuse-gnome] proposal or repository for branding, wallpapers, artwork, themes etc.
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:35:49 +0200
Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 16:02 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

we already have gtk2-themes, gnome-themes(-extras), etc, so I guess it
would probably be good to just fill those packages with any extra theme
we want to provide.

No, gtk2-themes and gnome-themes are upstream packages, which are nearly
mandatory for the minimal GNOME image. Package bundles make spec files
uglier and package bundles make images larger.

During branding work, I spent several weeks by cleaning of GNOME
packages from years old obsolete dust (i. e. images with Ximian or old
SuSE logo, wallpapers for SuSE 9.2...) and searching few still required
files. (The work is not yet done for 11.0.)

Now we have all artwork stuff in smaller separate packages, which are
easier to maintain (and drop).

And we have several artwork packages named:
gtk2-metatheme-foo
gtk2-engine-foo
gtk2-theme-foo

Of course, if we want to offer packages for the
whole of art.gnome.org (for instance), it makes sense to have these
repositories. It should be easier to do some kind of automation based on
art.gnome.org's RSS feed so that any new theme/background added gets
packaged automatically in these Art repos

I did not plan it, but it could be a nice option.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer