Re: [opensuse-gnome] Proposed changes wrt policy
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:40:05 -0500
On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 21:59 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:

Context: http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Desktop_Policy

Here's a list of changes that I propose to remove:

/apps/file-roller/listing/list_mode: no need to diverge from upstream on
this

/apps/ghex2/datafont
/apps/ghex2/headerfont: we don't even ship ghex by default, so I don't
think it's useful to change the default fonts

/apps/stickynotes_applet/defaults/color
/apps/stickynotes_applet/settings/use_system_color: we're using tomboy
now, so no need for those changes

/apps/procman/proctree/col_15_visible: I'm not sure why we make this
change.

/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_cda_command
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoburn_audio_cd_command
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoipod_command
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autophoto_command
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoburn
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autophoto
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoipod: all handled by nautilus now
(using mimetype like x-content/audio-player)

gnumeric - gnumeric-pro-fonts.patch: this changes some fonts. Why?

If nobody complains, I'll remove those changes in a week or so.

I have no objections to removing any of these.

Also, here's a list of settings that we change and that might need some
rationale if we want to keep the changes:

/apps/gnome-terminal/global/use_mnemonics
/apps/gnome-terminal/global/use_menu_accelerators

I think we'd be fine just going with the upstream settings for these,
although F10 is the quit key for Midnight Commander. I guess
people/sites that are so into their terminal apps will know how to
configure their terminal, and quite likely are doing so already.

/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility

We're currently setting this to FALSE. If we keep this setting, I'd vote
for setting it to TRUE instead, although it probably makes login and
some other things slower, and it's triggered nasty bugs before (like the
one where moving the emacs window around would leave the cursor
grabbed).

/apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces

Looks like it's set to 1. Didn't we decide at some point that we should
default to 4 now? If that aligns well with upstream, we could just drop
the override, I guess.

/apps/nautilus/preferences/preview_sound

I would like this to remain set to "never". In my experience, sound
preview is unexpected and possibly also rude, and the sound usually
plays too late anyway, which makes it unintuitive.

It might be that it's turned off upstream too, but it would be nice to
keep this override as an extra insurance :)

--
Hans Petter