Re: [opensuse-gnome] XGL/Compiz changes
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:20:15 +0200
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 13:58 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
Hi

After discussing it with JP and Cyberorg, here's a list of actions that
will be done, so please add your comments:

* gnome-xgl-settings will disappear, the hardware database thing will be
moved to simple-ccsm to enable/disable GUI when the graphics card is not
supported.

* my patch to the appearance capplet will be moved also to simple-ccsm,
there will be a check box to enable/disable compiz (if the graphics card
is in the database), and if ticked, the rest of the GUI will be as it is
now.

* gnome-xgl-switch will be moved to xgl, probably with the hardware
database also?

Hardware database is a separate package, so simple-ccsm could probably
just Recommend's it.

with this, we cover the compiz config from within the desktop. For
enabling xgl, users would need to run gnome-xgl-switch (or xgl-switch if
moved to xgl package), thus this will work for both KDE and GNOME
people. The best solution would be to have the enabling in the X
configuration, but it's probably too late for this, so not sure if we'll
have this (discussing with the X guys now)

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.