Re: [opensuse-gnome] New Packages (for Patterns and Core Distro)
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:39:05 +0200
Le mardi 08 avril 2008, à 12:48 -0500, Bryen a écrit :
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 13:38 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Forgot to send a mail about it: what about gnome-user-share?
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-user-share/

It lets the user have a small directory that he can share via
http/webdav (using apache).

Vincent

Hmm... That sounds like an interesting package. Does it also allow
remote users to upload files to the directory as well? Or is it only
one-way sharing?

You can configure it to receive files, but it's a bit less useful than
giver since you have to be told that you were sent a file... However, it
works quite well if you want to share a few files to lots of people. Eg,
I was using it at my lab and I was sharing a doc about zeroconf under
Linux so people could learn about how to share their music, share files,
etc.

Such a tool could be VERY useful. I happen to be dealing with certain
types of users right now who need to exchange large files with me and
explaining to them where to send it other than email is very
harrowing. :-) Providing a simple link to my machine would make life
easier on me.

Well, the main use case is local networks with rendezvous. It seems what
you're describing could be on non-local networks? gnome-user-share can
probably work this way too, but you need to know the right URL, which
was not shown in the UI last time I used it...