Re: [opensuse-gnome] Request: Add FileZilla as default FTP client, instead of gFtp
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:52:23 -0500

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 08:34 +0200, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Hi,

Bryen wrote:
I use Nautilus for FTP from time to time as well. Fortunately, I don't
have issues with the specific FTP servers I connect to. But, there were
some limitations iirc about Nautilus FTP, such as inability to change
from active to passive FTP (which is an important one. Can't remember
the other ones.

For easy use of FTP, I actually recommend FireFTP extension right in
Firefox for most of my users. It's easy to use and handles just about
all of the FTP configurable needs the average joe needs.

Of course, we don't package FF plugins, so that's moot for this
discussion, I guess.

We could of course package FF plugins if they are an important part of
the distribution. The extension handling of FF with AMO and automatic
updates and so on makes it usually not useful to have them in RPM form.

http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Mozilla#Extensions_.28incl._Themes.29

Wolfgang

I agree, I don't think we should include it in our package, because it
just opens up a big can of worms. It's easy enough to install these
plug-ins with one click directly from FireFox's website.

I was just merely pointing out an alternative FTP client that exists
without our need to package additional beyond Nautilus.

Bryen