Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME main menu bugs
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:29:16 +0200
AFAIK the main-menu received a bunch of fixing and patches from Federico
and others, but they were not aimed at closing specific bugs, but rather
general tasks such as "reducing leaks" and "improving performance". I've
sat in on at least one session of main-menu code review myself.

What seems to be the problem here is communication. I suspect that Scott
Reeves thinks these bugs might have been fixed by the review and
patches, but that he's not entirely sure, and hasn't had time to verify
it yet. Instead of closing the bugs as "probably fixed", he leaves them
open so that they're not lost in case the bugs are still there. This is
good practise, but maybe it could have been communicated better.

Without a doubt. A one-line message is more than enough, if it contains
an answer.

Have you tried contacting Scott directly? That seems like the most
logical course of action.

Of course not. We are not supposed to do that. The communication about
bugs should be on bugzilla anyway, and discussion on ML.

Yes. Have you verified that the bugs are still there? If not, could you
do that and add comments to the bugs saying "still a problem in Alpha 3"
or whatever? Magnus does that, and I know it's helpful when it comes to
my own bugs. Then I can know what to focus my attention on without
spending a lot of time investigating each one.

I can't verify in alpha 3 right now because I removed, having only a
laptop to experiment with. I will surely give them a look in beta
testing though.

In the meanwhile, I can point you to what I consider the worst issues:

* The memory leak: it's _slow_, not fast as it happened in 10.1. I
had it after various suspend/resume cycles.
* The load speed issue with high cpu usage. I notice it at every
login on 10.3.

Of course, if they're fixed in factory, that's better.

I guess you should make sure that the hackweek patches Magnus mentioned
are in before you test.

Sorry for not looking deeper into your complaint before posting my
initial reply.

No prob! :)

Thanks for the interest,
Alberto