Re: [opensuse-gnome] Volunteer Needed - Torrent Apps for 11.0
  • From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:33:58 +0100
On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 07:58 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
this should be set in the network capplet from gnome-control-center, and
the apps should be changed to work with those settings if they don't
yet. That is, we already have proxy config in that capplet, firefox, and
other I can't remember right now, so please don't add more proxy config
GUIs, let's just use the one we have and make it fit all needs.

I'm not sure transmission has proxy support at all, that's why I
included it in the list of lacking features.

- Very rough bandwidth control (only upload and download speed settings,
no connection number limitations).
- No control on seeding (quota ratio, for example).

Why they are useful seems pretty evident to me.

it doesn't to me, since I've never had to set that at all, only upload
and download speed settings. So, why is this useful?

Well, controlling the number of connections looks to me a basic feature
to have control on your connection.

isn't setting the upload limits enough ? Do you really need to specify
the number of connections? The app should guess the number of
connections based on upload limits, I guess

Indeed the seeding control is more a fine tuning feature for experts,
but if present in a Preferences tab, it doesn't hurt anyone.

yes, ok, I don't mind having it in a preferences tab

We should provide the best application for _all_ our users, not the best
for unexperienced users.

right, that's what I'm try to do, but need to understand what
experienced torrent uses really need, so I'm ok with having advanced
preferences, but by default the app should do its job automatically
(when possible of course), and if not possible, it should show
meaningful information, rather than allowing the user to tweak every
setting.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>