Re: Fwd: [opensuse-gnome] Volunteer Needed - Torrent Apps for 11.0
  • From: Bjørn Lie <bjorn.lie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:37:16 +0100

tor, 27.03.2008 kl. 18.11 -0500, skrev Alberto Passalacqua:
snipo

Anyway, a lot of users are connected through DSL modems, which do not
offer any kind of protection. Moreover a distribution can't assume
everyone is behind some sort of protection and disable the firewall.

Regards,
A.
Meh, modern dslmodems have a router built into them (atleast the ones
used here for the last 5 years by the major isps)
But no, this is not off-topic since upnp will only work if the firewall
is disabled or the "right" ports were openend, or as Benji (I think)
suggested that we should ship a interactive firewall.
IMO that would be nice and annoying at the same time, but I could
ofcource just disable the bugger like I always do.

The point is, if there is a use upnp option, and that does not work
since there is a "useless" firewall in place, that would lead to
confusion since "new/converts" are used to just ticking that upnp
thingamabob, or that it is already enabled by default. And "torrents"
just work for them in the "other os"
Why does it have to be more difficult here?

Bjørn