[opensuse-gnome] Changing gconf default values without a patch
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:00:14 +0100
Hi,

I'd like to propose a change in the gconf configuration we're shipping
so that we don't have to patches schemas when we only want to change a
default value. Also, I'll propose a new package to ship those default
values.

This can be interesting in many ways:
+ less patches :-)
+ easy to remove the opensuse policies (just remove a package)
+ easy to create another package to ship policies for opensuse
derivatives
+ easy to get upstream defaults

Here are the details:

1) First, we change /etc/gconf/2/path to add a new source for the
defaults, between the source for systemwide customizations and the
source for upstream defaults.
It means adding a line like this:
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.distro.defaults"

2) Instead of patching schemas files to change the defaults, we create
files for those changes and we'll have them installed in a gconf-y
way in this new /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.distro.defaults

3) Instead of shipping those new files in each package, we create a
gnome-policy-openSUSE package that will ship them

I'm not 100% sure we want step 3, but it might be nice. The first two
steps should be good, though.

What do you think?

(Credits: it's implemented this way in Debian)