Re: [opensuse-foundation] Purpose of the Foundation; help refine the definition
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:28:57 +0100
Alan Clark wrote:

The point wasn't that it has to be a spreadsheet. The point is that
we need to keep this as simple as possible. We are a volunteer
organization. Much responsibility will fall upon the board treasurer
and others.

Agree. In this context, I read 'spreadsheet' to be a just an indicator
meaning 'simple'. I do think a glorified spreadsheet is all we will
need, but that is just my opinion.

So why can't we assume it would be done in a normal fashion, adhering
to sound accountancy practices? They do differ from place to place
too, but a receipt in return for cash payment is pretty standard, I
think.

Sounds like you both are volunteering to help write the proceedures!
Make a proposal.

Yesterday I was very close to doing just that, but I suspect google will
help us with some perfectly adequate samples "out there".

Yes I know that some of this is dependent upon other decisions first,
but some of it we can start on now - for example understanding what
financial questions we are going to want to track and report to the
membership.

Well, for starters we'll want to track everything and possibly report on
some things. Reporting on what monies were spent on what is easy once
you've set up a procedure with cost-centres.

However, I'm sure we are getting ahead of ourselves here - aren't we
still waiting for this:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Foundation

to be completed, or is the above as good as it gets? The purpose seems
fairly well described, even if a bit long.

A couple of important questions:

- have "we" determined that a foundation is the right legal vessel for
our purposes? (I've deliberately put "we" in quotes as I'm not sure
who does this deciding - the current board?).

- have we determined the jurisdiction for this organisation? This is
possibly critical as the board (or some of it) of the organisation
might wel have to reside physically in the country where it is
established.

- will/should we be seeking to be charitable/not-for-profit ?
(for tax reasons).

The alternative to a foundation is an association, quite a bit easier
to establish (in Switzerland) and subject to a lot less red tape. (in
Switzerland). My understanding of a foundation is that it is usually
established _with_ funds and a purpose, whereas an association need not
have any funds.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.8°C)