[openFATE 309697] drop radeonhd in favor of the radeon driver
Feature changed by: Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
Feature #309697, revision 6
Title: drop radeonhd in favor of the radeon driver

- Hackweek V: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.3: Done

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: Done
Priority
- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Thiago Sayao (sayao)

I appreciate the work done with the radeonhd driver, but currently the
radeon driver works better for me (radeon HD2600 PRO cad).
Benefits of the radeon driver (for my card, don't know about others):
- KMS (would look nicer if opensuse uses plymouth);
- Better 3D support;
- Faster video;
- HDTV support with sound (has a bug that sound only outputs on one
connector, but works)
Compiz works nicely :)
With the radeonhd driver, video is very slow, no KMS, no 3D, Compiz
does not work, wrong resolution is detected.

#1: Stephen Shaw (decriptor) (2010-06-06 07:47:07)
I believe that this might already be done for openSUSE 11.3

#2: Thiago Sayao (sayao) (2010-06-06 20:28:43)
On milestone 7 it is still using radeonhd. I had to remove the package
to start using radeon.

#3: Nelson Marques (ketheriel) (2010-11-09 22:30:19)
I've made a test build (not polished and with Fedora patch level), and
it does work flawlessly. Anyway, this is just for plymouth integration
testing, but I would strongly recommend that ATI radeon driver (or
however it's called) to be available.
On my system (RV710/RV730) it does outperform radeonhd.