[openFATE 316956] Device Driver Manager for openSUSE
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #316956, revision 11
Title: Device Driver Manager for openSUSE

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: We no longer have amd binary blob. But if anyone wants
+ to package this there is nobody stopping you. But by default we do not
+ plan to work on the binary drivers management.

Requested by: giuseppe rossi (hawake)

Hi, i think that it could be useful to allow users to switch between
OpenSource/Proprietary drivers in use (if both are available obviously)
using a simple GUI created ad-hoc for the desktop in use (KDE -> Qt ,
GNOME/Xfce/Lxde -> GTK). In this way, if there is any kind of problem
with a driver a not-expert user can disable it or switch to another
one.
Therefore i suggest to develop a device driver manager for openSUSE
that could be included in YaST, or as a desktop application accessible
by a non-root user (like Apper for updates).
In certain Debian (Mint, Ubuntu...) derivatives are using something
like this: [0] http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=113559&f=47
[1] https://github.com/SolydXK/device-driver-manager
Thanks for reading,
Bye hawake

Relations:
- auto detect video card for driver install (feature/id: driver
management, easy to use, for new users)

Use Case:
For instance, think to the video card drivers. Recently nVidia, AMD and
Intel are improving their drivers but not always are the best choice
(especially AMD...).

#1: knight su (knightsu) (2015-12-02 07:08:54)
It would also be useful to allow users to switch between
OpenSource/Proprietary drivers during the installation phase itself.
Since many new users faced problems with the nvidia-plasma5 in openSUSE
Leap 42.1 post installaion.

#2: Emanuel Castelo (two_dogs) (2015-12-03 06:52:26)
i have seen mints version of driver manager in action, it is mostly
bullet proof, the only thing i see where it could be improved is in the
dealing with previous installed drivers thru any means, mints does not
do a sanity check that i can see.

#3: khrys oschilewski (khrysro) (2015-12-30 22:10:16)
In other rpm distribution (Mageia) have a "easy way" to do the same
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Setup_the_graphical_server
(https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Setup_the_graphical_server)
, could be ported or adadpted to openSUSE, I prefer the driver manager
of ubuntu, because is the easiest, but it could be useful to do some
similar.
I hope this idea will take in mind and be entered to openSUSE, It will
be most friendly to new users.

#4: khrys oschilewski (khrysro) (2016-01-25 22:12:48) (reply to #3)
I found other project making the same thing for other linux
distribution doflicky https://github.com/solus-project/doflicky
somebody who can fork and adapt it to opensuse? :)