[openFATE 313000] Ability to select graphics driver at boot
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #313000, revision 8
Title: Ability to select graphics driver at boot

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: As described by Richard and Jan this is not doable.

Requested by: pier andre (pier_andreit)

To have the possibility to select the graphic driver at boot in my
opinion is a good idea, if you have nvidia or ati graphic cards, and
you want to try the new propietary driver and it doesn't satisfy you,
or if you want to try the new nouveau driver, if you have the
possibility to select the driver (for example nouveau, nvidia, ati or
whatever), you can have easyly a working graphic desktop.

Relations:
- A simple way to turn off nouveau (feature/id: 310449)

#1: pier andre (pier_andreit) (2014-06-14 12:43:33)
...:-) nobody consider this a good idea??:-)

#2: Richard Brown (rbrownccb) (2014-06-19 17:52:48)
The licenses of most of the Proprietary drivers limit our ability to
deliver them with the openSUSE distribution Even when they're freely
available for download by our users, that doesn't necessarily mean we
can include them on the installation media
Any for that reason, I dont think this idea is viable

#3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2014-06-25 13:08:13)
If your system is to run with nvidia.ko, then install it and blacklist
nouveau.ko. I do not see a reason why this choice should be selectable
*at every boot*.

#4: Mustafa Muhammad (mustafa_muhammad) (2014-07-13 13:23:42)
Even if we don't ship proprietary drivers, users can install them (from
Packman or the vendor site), this is a good idea and probably easy to
implement in grub menu. Sometimes things go wrong and the installed
driver becomes unusable, recovery can be much easier with this
feature.

#5: akash vishwakarma (vish_99) (2015-05-17 14:48:29)
Pier, any comments regarding Richards and Jans comment.
You need to explain why you need this feature else it would be marked
rejected.