[openFATE 310442] New .desktop features
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #310442, revision 4
Title: New .desktop features

openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.4.

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: We are just downstream distribution in this regard.
+ Desktop files behaviour is defined by freedesktop or gnome/kde teams.
+ Feel free to report an enhancement request to them.

Requested by: Sławomir Lach (lachu)

Desktop files should contains lots of information, helping for desktop
software.
First of enchancement should be connection with other desktop file. It
means, that .desktop files should update status automatically, when
used or displayed.

Second would be autmatically removing broken desktop files.

Test Case:
Copy a .desktop files and do a lot of thing with parent file, like
changing comment, changing command, etc. Also remove software related
to this desktop file.

Use Case:
Peter is a Windows user. He is copy a lot of .desktop files from menus
onto desktop. He is also removing a lot of software, when test it, from
OpenSUSE, because on Windows platform he had never used software such
like this.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It will automatically removes some mess. I often
categorize Wine applications, like game/strategy, etc. I simply copy
file from one part of menu to another. I know, that I can use symlinks
(probably), but don't know how, and normal user won't removes symlink
after software is removed.

#1: John Van Vliet (johnvv) (2010-08-29 01:06:11)
undecided

on MS windows some of the desktop files are created at at boot from
information in the MS system regestry

do we realy want a ms reg type setup ?