[openFATE 310803] Compatibility package
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #310803, revision 7
Title: Compatibility package

openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.4.

- openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: No plan to implement such a thing. There is not even
+ clear scope. Use flatpack if you really want something along these
+ lines.

Requested by: Sławomir Lach (lachu)

The idea is to avoid incompatybility without stop distribution changes.
We can change everythink, what we need, and after few months releases
compatybility package, which installs library & other compatybility
layers to software distributed on internal media(or outside a
repository).
We can also provide someprogramname-compatybility. Also, OpenSUSE can
detects program medium by CDs label, to automatycally installs some
packages(library) needed by this program.

Use Case:
1) We can drop some packages(like GTK+-2.0) without risk. We only
create package called "compatybility layer" and user, who installs
software outside any repository will install it.
2) If we dropped GTK+-2.0 and OpenSUSE have feature to install
compatybility package automatically based on CDs label, then user will
only inserts a CD of this program.
3) We dropped GTK+-2.0 . User have downloaded some package by internet.
He can search compatybility package by programname-compatybility.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We need this to avoid user frustration and do not block
progress of OpenSUSE developing. It will works very similar to
PlayOnLinux. If somebody have trouble with make program run on OpenSUSE
and solves it, we only release special meta-package.

#1: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-11-09 11:52:48)
I think this is already solved with the shared library policy where you
can install several versions of a library in parallel. Please read it
at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Shared_library_packaging_policy and
tell us whether this solves your problem.

#2: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2010-11-26 18:27:28) (reply to #1)
My idea was addresed to programs redistributet on CDs or with
installators. Acctually user might to install each library by package
manager, but not in parell - system suggest to install some library or
giving symbol(export) to install and user are seing the same message
after installation missing library.

By compatybility packege uiser could install only one package and they
can install each software released on OpenSUSE in history.