[openFATE 306989] More Help to new Users
Feature changed by: Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
Feature #306989, revision 10
Title: More Help to new Users

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-15 09:55:29
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.2.

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-15 09:55:32
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.3.

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
+ reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.4.

+ openSUSE Distribution: New
+ Priority
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Ney Walens De Mesquita (nwm)

OK, opensuse is very simple to use, i agree, but many users just don't
understand how a linux system works... what's a package??... why i have
to use a Package Manager??!! Where is my network configuration?? why
this is so diferent from windows or Mac??
Ubuntu today is the larger linux distribution because some reasons...
follow a list of some important features that we can learn from:
     1 - Too many community support (ok, openSUSE has this one)
     2 - LTS release cicle (this is for SLED and SLES, i know)
     3 - Too many manuals, documentation and Help (openSUSE has this
one too)
     4 - Costumized version of yelp with manuals to commom tasks, like
use tha package manager and install codecs (i think that is the point)
I sugest that openSUSE can do some advances on item 4 and this can help
new users to understand how openSUSE works. I think that yast can be
more explained by module on yelp, but in a easy way for end users and
not thecnical way.

#1: Stephan Kleine (bitshuffler) (2009-07-30 20:04:51)
There's already a "Getting started" article on the wiki which aims to
fulfill this task:
http://en.opensuse.org/Getting_Started_with_openSUSE
Perhaps polishing & updating it and then making it more prominent would
be the best thing. (And since it is a wiki everyone can do it ;))

#3: Artyom Aleksuk (h31) (2009-07-31 17:17:55) (reply to #1)
New users don't like to read a documentation, so small tips during
package management, codecs installations, etc may be better.

#2: Ney walens de Mesquita (nwm) (2009-07-31 05:15:45)
But... think about who don't know how to conect to internet, or how to
use network manager... a local help like yelp would be the best place
to describe this things.