[openFATE 310830] Pinta project added
Feature changed by: Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
Feature #310830, revision 6
Title: Pinta project added

- openSUSE-11.4: New
+ openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
+ reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.4.

+ Package Wishlist: Done
+ Priority
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Jared Meidal (kahu)

The mono-based graphics editor ought to be integrated with next
OpenSUSE release:
http://pinta-project.com/
Ubuntu has dropped GIMP integration, which is not what I'm looking for,
but simply support for an additional project that fits a beginning-
intermediate graphic editor user base.

Relations:
- Mono:Community (obs/project: Mono:Community)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Pinta offers an easy and accessible interface for
beginners and tools for intermediate graphic editing. The fact that
this is an attractive and usable application contrasts with GIMP which
has its place but can make novices feel lost and unsure of where to
start. I suggest the OpenSUSE community get behind this project,
develop rpm builds and add it into their 11.4 repositories! We need
more attractive, sleek interfaces which are highly functional and
provide the tools for our audience-- I think we're missing out if we
skip this one.

#1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-20 14:09:31)
Packaged in Mono:Community

#2: Carlo Strata (carlo_strata) (2012-01-06 14:02:15)
Now Pinta is a standard OpenSuSE package (and also in Mono:Community
for versions until 11.4 included), but now (Released November 13th,
2011) has been released version 1.1 as you could see here
http://pinta-project.com/Releases.1-1.ashx So it would be very
interesting to upgrade to it, to follow its development and to release
updates as they are released on their own, if possible. ;-) I am a
Gnome user and liker until today I have to install KDE too only to be
able to use KolourPaint. Pinta replace it perfectly for me; I used to
install Paint.NET to my Windows customer and friend so that I already
know Pinta interface... Finally if I'm not in the wrong way, I remember
that future Pinta releases would abandon Mono for GTKx libraries.
What do you think about this?