[openFATE 309627] Enhance 'Safely Remove' to spin-down and power-off usb HDDs
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #309627, revision 10
Title: Enhance 'Safely Remove' to spin-down and power-off usb HDDs

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Done

Requested by: Pete Clayson (olmy)

'Safely remove' should (as far as possible) allow for genuine safe
removal of all media. Under certain other OSs, the 'safely remove'
option on usb devices will... 1/ On usb pen drive with a power/activity
led, switch it off (trivial nicety, but reassuring). 2/ On usb HDDs,
spin down the disk and power off. This seems more important. There is
some discussion about this, for example,
http://elliotli.blogspot.com/2009/01/safely-remove-usb-hard-drive-in-linux.html

(http://elliotli.blogspot.com/2009/01/safely-remove-usb-hard-drive-in-linux.html)
I know that the latest version of Ubuntu does this and there is a
script offered in the above link. However, the script, as it stands and
run on my installation of OpenSUSE, does not seem to work (in the same
way as WinXP or Ubuntu, anyway - my WD600D036 disk does not power off)
despite the positive messages in verbose mode. Perhaps this is the
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND option mentioned?

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-05-29 17:42:09)
You should know that "doesn't work" does not say very much. :-)

For one, I saw no mention of where this script is to be placed, or how
it is supposed to be executed (probably manually).

#2: Pete Clayson (olmy) (2010-05-29 23:05:34) (reply to #1)
Apologies.
I ran the script manually (with sudo). It "doesn't work" in the sense
that the drive I indicated did not power down as it does on the other
OSs. You can actually hear it spin down and stop under ubuntu and
winXP.
On the other hand, the script does do whatever it is that switches the
power/activity led off on the pen drives I tried.
I am suggesting that the function should be incorporated in the 'safely
remove' option. I don't have the technical knowledge to state exactly
and in detail, what should be done.

#3: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2010-06-01 20:28:22)
I can confirm that my external hard-drive does not stop spinning and
the power stays on even after I 'eject' it with the KDE controls. I
have a western digital passport USB external hard-drive (WD5000ME).
It would be great if this was fixed in SUSE or upstream (wherever that
may be).

+ #4: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv) (2017-06-12 12:49:46)
+ This seem to be partly implemented by udisks. If it still spins the
+ disk just report it to udisks2 upstream developers.