[openFATE 312999] Some easy way (one click) to switch off Akonadi + Nepomuk + Strigi
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #312999, revision 15
Title: Some easy way (one click) to switch off Akonadi + Nepomuk +
Strigi

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: If anything this is bug for KDE developers rather than
+ issue specific to openSUSE.
+ Please discuss this with upstream maintainers if you want to change the
+ current state.

Requested by: Krasimir Ivanov (kivanov)

Please help us - the users, who decide to use in the real business the
Linux PIM management. Please make possible for us to choose - will we
use the Semantic Desktop or just would like to switch it off for some
reason.
Since years the idea of so called Semantic Desktop is taking huge time
and efforts but results still are unappealing. I admit the work of the
developers and any one should be thankful for their efforts in making
KDE the best free desktop ever. But... please give some chance to users
to choose what they need and prefer.

Use Case:
Ideally we need one additional item in Kickoff -> System Settings. Now
there is available the item 'Desktop Search (Nepomuk/Strigi)'. May be
some button to make possible to switch on or off the Semantic Desktop
will do the job? Or please provide in the already available item
'Desktop Search (Nepomuk/Strigi)' a software button or any other easy
visible tool to switch off or on all this Semantic Desktop components.
Please possibly change the related software to be capable to work with
or without all this Semantic Desktop technology. Let make possible for
the end users to decide whet they need - a Desktop with or without this
Semantic Desktop technology.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Since years this Semantic Desktop experiment still can
not provide enough good results to use in the real business life. Now
with the openSUSE 12 thanks to Akonadi + Nepomuk + Strigi the elegance
and speed of the Linux Desktop is gone and we have some Desktop like
Windows. This is because most of the hardware potential is used just
for internal processes of the Semantic Desktop. This way the Desktop is
getting slow and unresponiive, the HDD is running mostly all the time,
a lot of RAM and HDD is used, and now KMail get buggy slow, etc ... Let
users can have one unbroken PIM Management for their real life until
the Semantic Desktop can provide the needed experience. Let those who
prefer the Semantic Desktop in its current condition can use it as he
needs.

#1: Hendrik van Hees (vanhees71) (2011-11-27 14:25:50)
I couldn't agree more! Semantic desktop is something I do not need, and
I don't know any of my colleagues who needs or uses it, and in my
environment (theoretcial physics) nearly everybody uses Linux/Unix! I'm
fully productive with locate concerning looking for files, when I
forgot, where I've saved one before. Even when not using the semantic
desktop by switching off strigi, akonadi always started some business,
blocking memory, CPU, and (the least issue) disk space, and this
although I've switched off as much akonadi services as possible in the
desktop configuration tool. That's why I deinstalled as much of akonadi
as I could without violating depencies and the functionality of my kde4
desktop, which without akonadi is a great desktop with a high
efficiency and a high level of configurability for the user. It's
really a pity that perhaps putatively new Linux users come to the
conclusion that kde is not better than Windows concerning
responsiveness and efficiency and then perhaps they don't use Linux for
that reason.
In addition after a very long time, I switched from kmail, knode, and
korganizer to thunderbird for all my PIM, just for the reason of making
the system highly unstable and unusable for daily work. The most
annoying thing is (was?) the instability of kaddressbook. Not only did
I loose my data stored in there for years (under kde3) without any loss
before all this akonadi stuff entered the same. In addition, the
function to build groups for mailing to a specific list of people
hasn't worked anymore. Now, I'm happy with thunderbird, and I'm not so
sure whether I ever switch back to kde-pim.

#2: Joseph Mitzen (duncreg) (2011-11-30 04:00:04)
I haven't tried 12.1 yet, but in 11.4 you just need to go to KDE's
Configuration tool and click on "Desktop search". There you can
enable/disable both Nepomuk and Strigi with a single click each. You
can also change the way they work to make them less intrusive.

#3: Alex Armstrong (alexrarmstrong) (2011-11-30 08:36:10) (reply to
#2)
This holds true for 12.1 also. My understanding is that Akonadi is required
for many parts of KDE - Knotes on up. But I tested it without the
Nepomuk ans Strigi services running, and by itself, Akonadi is
relatively lightweight. -A-

#4: Flan Suse (flansuse) (2011-11-30 16:17:33) (reply to #2)
"I haven't tried 12.1 yet, but in 11.4 you just need to go to KDE's
Configuration tool and click on "Desktop search". There you can
enable/disable both Nepomuk and Strigi with a single click each."
And yet Akonadi will still run in the background if there as an
application or widget that calls it, even without the user's knowledge.
This also caused the great annoyance for many users (as seen in a long
KDE bug report) about the nagging notifications from Akonadi that
"Nepomuk is not enabled!" KDE developers can't get it over the heads
that a lot of users don't use/like/need/want a "Semantic Desktop". The
truth hurts.
I agree. There should be a simple way to disable Akonadi/Nepomuk/Strigi
entirely . If the user loses some features in Kmail or some other
application/widget, then so be it. He chose the path of speed and
simplicity over features he never uses.

#5: Joseph Mitzen (duncreg) (2011-11-30 22:11:27) (reply to #4)
1. If an application needs it, what do you want to have happen? If it's
a dependency of something, it's a dependency. If you don't want to use
Akonadi, you have to not use anything that depends on it. It's part of
the PIM suite and isn't churning your hard drive like Nepomuk. It's
just a unified database, using MySQL by default I believe. 2. You can
type "kcmshell4 akonadi" at a shell prompt and get an akonadi
configuration dialog (in 11.4 after install akonadi would start another
akonadi_contact service with every boot and this was needed to be used
once to kill them and stop the behavior - I'm not sure if the bug was
ever fixed). Here you can modify or kill akonadi resources, change its
database backend, etc. Don't complain if you break KDE entirely though
all in the hope of shutting down a front-end for MySQL which is
probably already running on your system anyway. :-)
I just set up a VirtualBox machine with 11.4 and imported my K-Mail
emails into it and launched the 12.1 upgrade process. If KMail2 fails
to import my e-mail in the VM I'll probably be back here complaining
more than anyone else. :-) On that front if there are import problems
they should have just left KMail 4.4 in as they did for 11.4, but
that's another openFATE issue.....

#6: Claudio Freire (klaussfreire) (2012-03-30 16:48:28) (reply to #5)
Well, in my opinion, Akonadi and friends shouldn't be requirements at
all. I'd change the Requires to Recommends, and make the installation
of the packages optional. My rationale is that in underpowered systems,
Akonadi, its database, its indexing processes, they're all a serious
performance drain. I have an old P4 with 1G RAM running 11.4 which
sufffers from it, every user has around 64-128M of wasted space in
their home due to Akonadi's database, and I have to manually and
regularly clean it up, even with the service "disabled". It's clear
that disabling the service only does so partially, so it should be
possible to flat out uninstall it. When I tried, lots of core KDE
packages were depending on it (I'll muster a list later). So packages
should never really depend (Require) Akonadi, only be improved by its
presence (Recommends).
Of course this may need requiring apps to be patched.

#7: Claudio Freire (klaussfreire) (2012-03-30 16:59:43) (reply to #5)
Ok, uninstalling akonadi runtime plasma-addons, uninstalling libakonadi
wants to uninstall python-kde4, kdebase4-workspace, NetworkManager and
kwin which seems quite excessive.
Kmail, kipi, kdepim too want to be uninstalled, among others, but I can
see how making those not depend on akonadi could be difficult. If at
all possible, though, it should be tried.