files. This is a rather ugly hack though. What we need is a special
patch that when selected uninstalls the listed packages without causing
e.g. packagekit to choke.

#1: Michael Schröder (mlschroe) (2011-12-19 15:52:44)
As often, the libzypp/solver part is easy. Please propose how you want
to encode such an uninstall request into updateinfo.xml. Also please
ask the Fedora guys about their opinion, as we share the
specification.

#2: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel) (2011-12-19 16:03:37) (reply to #1)
please go ahead, you're the expert

#3: Michael Schröder (mlschroe) (2011-12-19 16:07:23) (reply to #2)
But I'm not the Architect(TM)

#4: Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy) (2016-11-18 04:04:22)
I wonder if you think this is still right today, Ludwig... ;)

#5: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel) (2016-12-05 15:02:54) (reply to #4)
Yes I think so. It's also interesting for e.g. openSUSE:Backports

#6: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2016-12-06 17:12:37)
It is good idea to also disallow to install package with security
flaws?

#8: Kai Dupke (kdupke) (2017-02-17 11:54:04) (reply to #6)
Users might see this as too much managing them. And there might be
reasons you want to have exactly this specific version, even it has a
security flaw. Of course, having someone to acknowledge on this could
be worth.

#9: Jiri Srain (jsrain) (2017-04-10 08:04:07Z)
I wonder if we need any handling in updateinfo at all. Can the patch
itself just conflict with package we want to remove?
Thorsten, you may want to have a look as an architect...

+ #10: Michael Andres (mlandres) (2017-04-19 08:40:22) (reply to #9)
+ Inside libsolv/libzypp a patch is an ordinary object just like a
+ package. A patch is created from an entry in updateinfo.xml by
+ translating the package list into a set of conflict dependencies. This
+ way the patch will conflict with installed versions less than the ones
+ mentioned in the updateinfo.xml.
+ A patch with actual conflicts, is called broken or needed. If such a
+ patch is selected, dependency resolution can resolve such conflict by
+ either updating the package or by removing it.
+ The common resolution to update the package is just because the update-
+ repo also provides the new rpm packages. If we'd mention a package in
+ the updateinfo.xml, but do not ship a new rpm package as well,
+ dependency resolution will (interactively) suggest to remove the the
+ package. For the sake of being more explicit or if we want to non-
+ interactively remove packages, we need to indicate that 'a package is
+ intentionally not shipped' (i.e. to be deleted) in the upadetinfo.xml.
+ Michael Schröder is probably more familiar with the upadetinfo.xml
+ format and he also 'owns' the parser; maybe he has some suggestion how
+ to encode this. Maybe just '<package>' entries without src/filename
+ attributes or an explicit '<delpkglist>'? Edit (#) Reply (#)