[openFATE 318356] Add firewalld to openSUSE
Feature changed by: Markos Chandras (markoschandras)
Feature #318356, revision 3
Title: Add firewalld to openSUSE

Requested by: Mathias Homann (lemmy04)

firewalld provides a dynamic firewall that can handle iptables,
ip6tables and ebtables based on the connections saved in
NetworkManager. With firewalld the firewall configuration can be
changed "on the fly" without having to reload the whole firewall
tables. Firewalld is particularly useful for computers with highly
volatile network setups, i.e. mobile hardware (laptops) or
virtualization hosts.
it would be desirable to add firewalld as an alternative to
SuSEfirewall2 for users that want it.

Test Case:
Test case: I have been using firewalld from home:lemmy04:firewalld for
a couple of months now to no ill effect.
Test case 2: firewalld in its current version is the default firewall
subsystem in fedora and RHEL7...

Use Case:
In Network Manager you can define for each stored connection which
firewall zone will be used for the interface if that connection is
used.
Best use case for this: wireless interface on a laptop of someone who
travels a lot.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: SuSEfirewall2 is static and according to its developer
not actively developed anymore. Also, current network setups can easily
call for more than three zones, which firewalld provides by default.

#1: Mustafa Muhammad (mustafa_muhammad) (2015-01-20 13:50:33)
I think this is a really important feature to have, I've tried openSUSE
in a server last week and I struggled with the firewall, I think
firewalld is more flexible and user friendly than SuSEfirewall, I use
it on Fedora and CentOS.

+ #2: Markos Chandras (markoschandras) (2016-02-26 11:17:30)
+ Hi, This is now in the openSUSE Tumbleweed. The devel project is here
+ https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/security:netfilter/firewalld