[openFATE 305914] PAC support for 'system wide proxy configuration'
Feature changed by: Raul Gomez (NachoGomez)
Feature #305914, revision 20
Title: PAC support for 'system wide proxy configuration'

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Stephan Kulow (coolo)
reject date: 2009-08-12 11:23:55
reject reason: no volunteer to work on it and only 1 vote (I guess the
requester :)
Projectmanager: Important

Info Provider: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar)
Requested by: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar)

The distribution now contains libproxy and we should try to make as
much use of it as possible.
A big advantage is the ability to parse PAC (Proxy AutoConfiguration)
without the need for this to be implemented in every application.
Simply linking against libproxy with it's very simple API (3 API calls,
2 without parameters) is enough to have the advantage of no longer
needing to 'guess' what proxy to use.
Current situation:
* You can set in yast / proxy a general proxy to be used
(http://foo.proxy.com:1234). This is bascially put into http_proxy
envvar.
In gnome you can set user proxy configuration as:
* Use System Proxy (as configured in yast)
* Use proxy configuration (static, same options as in yast)
* Use automatic proxy configuration script
Yast lacks the option to specify a PAC script on system wide level.
This is only possible in the user sessions configuration. This made
sense as most applications don't know how to handle pac files anyway.
But with libroxy, this hurdle can be taken away from every single
application and can thus be offered. I'm glad to elaborate on
questions; I'm sure there are some :-)

#1: Jiri Srain (jsrain) (2009-06-02 10:19:21)
Dominique, I don't really understand what's needed on the YaST side
(probably mostly because of the lack of my knowledge), could you,
please, provide more informaiton on what you want to achieve (from the
YaST point of view)? Is it just writing proxy information to another
configuraiton file for libproxy?

#2: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar) (2009-06-02 10:24:34) (reply to
#1)
That might be one case, but not even needed, as libproxy reads the
configurations from gnome/kde settings for example (current running
env).
yast wouuld need the enhancement to allow to also set proxy
autoconfiguration as source for proxy (at this time, you can only 'hard
code' some proxy, http, https, ftp and socks. It's not possible to
define wpad and pac.
Besides that, the 'underlying' tools, like wget, aria and the like,
spawned by yast and that connect to the net, will need libproxy
support. (for aria2c there is a enhancement request open already).

#3: Jiri Srain (jsrain) (2009-06-23 09:09:43) (reply to #2)
OK, I understand what is needed for the underlying tools, but still
don't get YaST. YaST Proxy module only sets the settings into sysconfig
(just another storage for proxy information), it is task for the
applications to either get proxy info from these variables or via
libproxy, no matter how it gets it.

#4: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar) (2009-06-23 10:05:14) (reply to
#3)
so far correct, but let's have a look at the mask Yast2 / Proxy:
The settings available are:
> [ ] Enable Proxy
> HTTP Proxy URL
> HTTPS Proxy URL
> FTP Proxy URL
> [ ] Use the Same Proxy for All Protocols
> No Proxy Domains
> Proxy Authentication Username / Password
It is not possible in the current mask to define a PAC URL for the
Proxy settings.(or WPAD:// for what it matters)
I hope this helps. Otherwise we can maybe discuss the matter on IRC?

#5: Jiri Srain (jsrain) (2009-06-23 10:13:21) (reply to #4)
I understand, the question is: What shall YaST do with this
information? Write it to sysconfig where almost nobody reads it?

#6: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar) (2009-06-23 10:21:18) (reply to
#5)
It should be written to sysconfig and with the same logic appear in envvar
as normal.
The envvar for PAC scripts is formatted in this way:
http_proxy="pac+http://my.webserver.com/proxy.pac";
Optionally, it might not be wrong to also write it to the libproxy
configuration file. But this is optional and might be to much
'enforced' as opposed to the envvar.

#7: Christoph Thiel (cthiel1) (2009-07-16 11:44:07)
Novell currently doesn't have the resources to implement something like
this for openSUSE 11.2.

#8: Manuel Ramirez (elpreto) (2009-08-28 04:53:36)
Oh, this is really important, a lot of entrerprises use that proxy
authentication mode, i have the same problem in my work, this feature
is really important to adopt openSUSE in enterprises. Suse Enterprise
Desktop have this option??

#9: Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar) (2009-08-28 15:45:56) (reply to
#8)
Nothing like this to my knowledge yet. The best choice you have at the moment
is setting the proxy properly in GNOME to use the pac script. But
having gnome on 'system proxy' and having system proxy set
appropriately would be cleaner solution.
FWIW: wget should get libproxy support soon.

+ #10: Raul Gomez (nachogomez) (2015-12-05 00:17:15)
+ Well, it's been a while since the last post of this thread, but I think
+ is really important for Yast to support PAC/WPAD authentication, it has
+ been enforced yesterday here in my office (big corporation) and now I'm
+ prevented to install/update packages using Yast
+ I've seen the options in KDE5 (I'm using openSUSE Leap 42.1), but it
+ doesn't seem to work for Yast