[New: openFATE 319865] Support for independent multi-desktop multi-monitor
Feature added by: macias - (truemacias)

Feature #319865, revision 1
Title: Support for independent multi-desktop multi-monitor

Requested by: macias - (truemacias)

IMHO this feature would not only be useful but would make OS really different
than other distros. I am talking about distro, and not this or that Desktop
Manager / Window Manager, because I think it would be a killer feature worth
switching from the any liked/used DM/WM. Ok, the feature -- ability to setup
multiple desktops and "pin" them down to given monitor. For example -- single
monitor, I configure 5 desktops. When I switch desktop 1-5, I can see that
desktop on my single monitor. No difference here. Two monitors -- let's say I
configure 5 desktops again, but I attach 1-3 desktops to first monitor, and 4-5
to the second one. When the OS starts, it selects the first desktops for each
monitor (1, and 4), and now when I switch to say, 5 desktop, the first monitor
still displays desktop 1, but second one switches to desktop 5 and gets the
focus. Say I switch to desktop 2, the second monitor still displays desktop 5,
the first monitor switches to desktop 2 and gets the focus. Possible use cases:
* "Monitor" Dual setup -- define N desktops, pin desktop N to second monitor,
put there all "monitor" apps, like temperature, weather, HDD space, news :-)
and so on, while pin 1-(N-1) desktops to first monitor for regular work. You
can define only 1-(N-1) shortcuts for desktop switching -- and you would get
pretty neat workstation with constant monitoring, without any conflict between
apps * "Viewer" dual setup -- pretty much the same as above, but the second
monitor serves as viewer for comparison purposes (some drawing, schematics,
book is opened all the time) and thanks to separated desktops it will be
visible all the time and it will be unaffected by any conflict (you would have
to switch to that desktop to alter how it looks)

Currently switching desktops is done in sync, so this would be a major step
forward for power users (customization of the workstation).

List Navigation