[openFATE 311089] Disable system bell by default if sound card is installed
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #311089, revision 7
Title: Disable system bell by default if sound card is installed

Requested by: Pieter De Decker (pdedecker)

One of the first things I do after installing openSUSE is disabling the
system bell by adding this to ~/.inputrc:
set bell-style none
Its volume is needlessly high. The bell scares the hell outta me
whenever it creeps up because I backspaced too much on the command
line.
My suggestion: disable the system bell by default, unless no sound card
is installed.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It's a simple fix for something that has been bugging me
forever.

#1: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2011-01-19 22:57:33)
Completely agree.
Too many times I have used my openSUSE laptop at college or other
public places and during the middle of a class my computer would spew
forth a series of extremely loud beeps. Useless and extremely
annoying.

#2: Daniel Lee (erget) (2011-01-23 13:51:23)
Yes, I have the same problem and would love this fix!

#3: Georg Stillfried (theschorsch) (2015-01-04 11:27:36)
Agree.
In my case, it has been annoying when using TightVNC to connect to my
workplace's computer at night with all sound turned off and suddenly
loud beeps coming out of the PC speaker because I hit backspace once
too much in MATLAB.

#4: hisam hisam (xikyu46) (2015-06-27 06:33:02)
i have same problem. Sometime when i using headset/earphone it make me
shocked because the sound is loud

#5: Felix Miata (mrmazda) (2015-06-27 06:57:56)
Just because the motherboard has a sound chip doesn't mean speakers are
connected, or turned on, or wanted. Practically all motherboards have
sound chips any more. When something bad happens, sound is good.
Otherwise, I want my puter to be quiet.

+ #6: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2015-08-14 00:25:33)
+ It is not worth the trouble for the distro to sway from the default,
+ also because they easily revert (which can be a good thing as well as a
+ curse), such as through /usr/bin/reset for vc0.
+ Anyone thinking of editing .inputrc can just pull the thing from the
+ mainboard - I can assure you that you won't miss it. And for laptops,
+ well, that has been tunable from keyboard or even software for *well
+ over 15 years*, so just disable it in the mixer.