[openFATE 318635] Installation-Update to newer versions without CD/DVD
Feature changed by: Nick Mantas (orion_0)
Feature #318635, revision 3
- Title: Installation-update to newer vesrions without CD/DVD
+ Title: Installation-Update to newer versions without CD/DVD

Requested by: Nick Mantas (orion_0)

My proposal is the development of a way to install new distros or
update to new ones without having to use CD/DVD. This feature can be
available within YaST or as a stand-alone program ,to be available for
use for other Linux Distros as well. You mount the ISO within the
program and the installation starts without having to burn a disk

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We all get excited when the new version of openSUSE
becomes avalable for download. We literally RUSH to the local computer
store to get a CD/DVD,or beg others to lend us one, in order to test
it... unless we have... Now imagine a program or a YaST extention where
you mount the ISO you just downloaded without having to to burn a disk.
Not only convenient but also eco-friendly as it reduces the amount of
disks and unnecesary waste!!
Proposed name: ISOtope (isotopes are variants of a particular chemical
element which differ in neutron number. Same here:same ISO, different
installation way)

List Navigation